The remains of Llansteffan Castle are set in the beautiful surroundings overlooking the sand-flats of the mouth of the river Tywi, and within a much older Iron Age promontory fort.
This castle was built by the Normans to control the river crossing in this area and it changed hands several times during fierce fighting between the Normans and the Welsh. It was held briefly by Owain Glyndŵr’s supporters in 1405-06. At the end of the fifteenth century, King Henry VII granted it to his uncle, Jasper Tudor an it is thought that he was probably responsible for blocking the great gatehouse passage to create additional accommodation.
The castle is currently privately owned but managed by Cadw. In parts it is in very poor repair and visitors are warned of the Danger of Falling masonry from the top of the East Bastion and advised to keep away from this area.
W: Click Here to Visit
Daily 10am until 4pm
Last admission 30 minutes before closing
Closed 24th, 25th, 26th December and 1st January
We Advise Double Checking Details before Visiting
Looking for more Fun Places to Go with the Family in West Wales - Click Here to visit our Places to Go Pages for some inspirations