Welsh Cakes Recipe
Welsh Cakes are a yummy treat for the Kids on St David’s Day, but too also all year round. Welsh Cakes are very easy to make and a perfect baking option for making with the family.
This is our family recipe we have used for years and will make around 20 Welsh Cakes.
Ingredients for Welsh Cakes
- 225g Self Raising Flour (little extra for dusting when rolling)
- 110g Butter
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 2 handfuls of Sultanas
- 2 eggs
What Else you Will Need to Make these Welsh Cakes
- Mixing Bowl
- Mixing Spoon
- Baking Stone or Non-Stick frying pan (This is the baking stone we use, we got it from Amazon)
- Rolling Pin
- Clean surface to roll on, (we use this non slip mat from Amazon)
- Crinkle round cutters, we used a 7cm wide one
Method to Make Welsh Cakes
- Sieve the flour into the mixing bowl and then rub the butter into the flour so it gets into a crumbly consistency.
- Add in the caster sugar and sultanas and mix together.
- Add the eggs in and mix into a dough that can be rolled out.
- Put a light dusting of flour on a surface and roll the dough out to about 1cm thick, then cut them into circles.
- Lightly grease the pan / stone with butter and put on a medium heat and place the welsh cakes on to cook for a bout 5 minutes each side.
- Once they are cooked through lightly dust with some caster sugar.