Nadiya Hussain’s Zebra Cake Recipe
We recently got sent Nadiya’s Bake Me A Story Children’s Deluxe Baking Set and this Zebra Cake Recipe was included and the set so we tried it out and this is how we got on
The kids found Nadiya’s Zebra Cake quite easy to follow and make and it was super yummy.
Ingredients to Make Nadiya’s Zebra Cake
For the Cake
- 175g Unsalted Butter, softened and a little more to grease the tin
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 1 ½ tbsp Cocoa Powder
For the Icing
- 25g Unsalted Butter
- 15g Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 100g Icing Sugar
- 25g White Chocolate
What Else you will Need to Make Nadiya’s Zebra Cake
What you will need from inside the Deluxe Bake Me A Story Baking Kit
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons
Additional Kit that you will need
- Additional Mixing Bowl
- 900g Loaf Tin Here is the one we used from Amazon
- Baking Paper
- Wire Rack Here is the one we used from Amazon
- Small Pan
Method to Make Nadiya’s Zebra Cake
- Preheat the Oven to 180°C Fan/ Gas Mark 6.
- Lightly grease a 900g loaf tin and line the base of the tin with a strip of baking paper, making sure to let it overhang at both ends so it’s easy to pull the cake out once its baked.
- To make the cake mixture place the butter, sugar and flour into the mixing bowl and using the measuring spoons also add the baking powder.
- Add the eggs into the bowl and then using the spatula beat all the mixture together well until its all combined.
- Transfer half the mixture into a separate mixing bowl
- Using the measuring spoons add the almond extract to one of the mixtures and stir
- Again using the measuring spoons add the cocoa powder with 2 tablespoons of hot water together to make a paste and then add this to the other mixture and stir well.
- Randomly spoon dollops of each mixture into the loaf tin until both mixtures are used up, using the spatula smooth the top of the mixture to make it level
- Bake in the oven for 50 – 60 minutes. The cake should spring back when touched and if you push the skewer into the middle it should come out clean to let you know its cooked throughout.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before taking it out of the tin and onto the wire rack to cool further.
- For the icing melt the butter in a small pan and then suing the sieve sift in the cocoa powder.
- Stir with the spatula and cook gently for 1 minute, then using the measuring spoons measure and stir in the milk and sieve in the icing sugar and take the pan off the heat.
- Leave the mixture to cool completely before spreading it over the cooled cake.
- (Top Tip, we found that this mixture was a little thick so added a little bit more milk to get it to the consistency we wanted)
- Melt the White Chocolate and dollop it on top of the icing. Run the tip of the skewer through the dollops to give the icing a ripple effect and leave to set.
If you want to read more about what you get inside this Kids Baking Set why not Read our Full Review of Nadiya’s Bake Me a Story Deluxe Baking Set and you can even enter a Free Giveaway to Win a Set for your Family.