The Carmarthen River Festival is making a triumphant return, promising an even bigger and better event filled with endless family enjoyment. This festival holds a significant place in Welsh heritage, celebrating the age-old tradition of coracle fishing on the River Towy in Carmarthen. As this tradition faces the risk of fading away, the festival aims to preserve it while providing a day of unforgettable experiences for all.
Coracles, traditional lightweight boats that have been used for generations to fish the River Towy, take centre stage at the festival. The coracle races are a testament to Welsh heritage, serving to honour and safeguard this age-old practice. Participants can enjoy thrilling races and witness the unique skills required to navigate these distinctive vessels.
The festival is more than just races thanks to the Carmarthen Round Table, a FREE Funfair will add an extra layer of delight to the festivities on Carmarthen’s Quayside. Stalls, a climbing wall, music, food demonstrations, and fair rides will create a lively atmosphere starting from 2pm. Kids will revel in the joy of a children’s coracle pool, where they can test their navigation skills.
For those seeking aquatic adventures, free taster sessions for canoeing, kayaking, and coracle riding await, complete with water safety demonstrations. As the sun sets, the races commence around 5pm, featuring the immensely popular Coracle Races, the heart-pounding Raft Race, and the hilarious Welsh National Inflatable Sprint Championship. Don’t forget to bring your flamingo or unicorn floaties to join in the fun!
Mark your calendars for the Carmarthen River Festival – a day of cherished tradition, heart-pounding races, thrilling water activities, and boundless family entertainment. Head along with the family for an unforgettable experience!
2023 River Festival Timetable
- 2pm – Registration for Inflatable Races opens £2 per person
- 2 – 4.30pm – Free canoe, kayak and coracle taster sessions with water safety demonstrations
- 2 – 5pm – Seafood Demonstrations
- 2 – 6.30pm All Dryside Activities
- 4.45pm – Display from Ferryside Lifeboat
- 5.15pm – Coracle Races
- 45.45pm – Carmarthen Rowing Boat Race
- 6.00pm – Raft Race
- 6.30pm – Welsh National Inflatable Sprint Championships
- 6pm Prize giving followed by a candle remembrance
Dry-side Activities Include:
- FREE Fun Fair kindly organised by Carmarthen Round Table
- Cooking Demonstrations
- Climbing Wall
- Music and Entertainment
- Children’s Area
- Various Food, Refreshments and Ice Cream Stalls
Water safety at the Carmarthen River Festival is a priority:
- All entrants must have a suitable life jacket / buoyancy aid according to their age/weight. Life jackets will be available on the day, but as this will be a popular event and to avoid disappointment, it would be advisable to come prepared.
- All entrants must wear suitable footwear as it will be muddy entering and exiting the water.
- Children are permitted to enter this event but MUST be accompanied by an adult – the child must wear a suitable life jacket / buoyancy aid for their age/weight.
- Safety on the river is paramount. Our safety officers will make the decision for you to enter the river. If for any reason, they feel a person does not meet with the safety guidelines, the safety officers have the right to refuse entry. The safety officer’s decision is final.
- Don’t forget a change of clothes and a towel and don’t wear your best trainers as they may not turn up in Ferryside on the next tide!!!!!