The Llanelli Christmas Carnival and official Christmas Light Switch-on is a cherished tradition in Carmarthenshire, serving as the grandest community event of the year and an unforgettable experience for the entire family.
Drawing a crowd of 15,000 enthusiastic attendees, this joyful celebration marks the exciting commencement of the Christmas season. The festivities kick off with a magnificent carnival parade, commencing at Festival Fields and making its way through the town centre, creating a mesmerizing spectacle that captivates both young and old.
Throughout the day, there’s an abundance of entertainment options to delight everyone’s tastes, from delightful stalls and tempting refreshments to a dazzling aerial fireworks display that paints the night sky with vibrant bursts of colour. The atmosphere is further electrified by a family-friendly funfair, providing endless laughter and adventure for visitors of all ages.
As the evening unfolds, the highlight of the event arrives with the grand switching on of the Christmas lights, a moment filled with anticipation and wonder. Families gather to witness the captivating parade of carnival floats illuminated in the warm glow of the season, accompanied by a breath-taking sky adorned with brilliant fireworks, truly heralding the arrival of the festive spirit.
To complete the experience, the air is filled with the sounds of live music, adding a melodious backdrop to the merriment. So, bring your loved ones and join in the magic of the Llanelli Christmas Carnival, where the joy of the season comes alive in a spectacular display of lights, music, and shared happiness.
During the day you can expect: –
- 12pm Cowell Street will close for fun fair rides
- 4pm Big, small and scary Fun fair rides open with lots of side stalls plus a selection of hot and cold refreshments and Street entertainment (various locations)
- 5.45pm Road closures in place for Church Street and side streets
- 6.15pm Carnival Parade leaves Festival Fields, Sandy Road
- 6.45pm The BIG Christmas lights switch-on by the, the Chair of Llanelli Rural Council, Mayor of Llanelli Town Council and the Chair of Carmarthenshire County Council
- 7pm Arrival of carnival parade in Town Hall area Kindly organised by Llanelli Round Table
- 7.40pm Spectacular Firework Display commences (Town Hall Gardens)
- 8pm Outdoor market closes for the evening
- 9pm Fun fair closes
The Carnival Route
Road closures for 2022 will be similar to previous years with the road closure of Station Road and Church Street, Llanelli, from its junction with Murray Street to its junction with Gelli Onn, will start at 5.45pm until 8pm. Gelli Onn will be closed to westbound traffic only, from its junction with Thomas Street.
A rolling road block will be in place along the carnival route from 6.15pm, affecting the route into the town centre from Pwll, through the town centre, along Queen Victoria Road, Erw Road and Waunlanyrafon. Traffic may be affected until around 8pm.